Wednesday 26 March 2014

To Isla, On Your Second Birthday

To my beautiful Isla Skye,

Today you turned two and although that might not seem like a lot to some people, to me it means a lot. Every day you amaze me and to look back on the past 2 years, I just can't believe how much you have grown. I know that sounds cheesy because I'll probably say that every year. But it will be true every year. And I have no doubt that you will continue to amaze me every year that you grow brighter and stronger and more beautiful.

This past year has been a whirl-wind. First and without much warning you welcomed a baby brother.

Soon after, you gave up your favourite mode of travel (speed-crawling) and learned how to walk and talk.

You learned how to be a big sister.

And you tried new foods.
You had your 2nd Christmas.
And your 2nd Cake Smash.
And today, you had your 2nd birthday.
I'm so proud of you.
* * * * * * * * * * * *

Every day is a new day when you tell me or show me something new that you have learned. Even when I catch you doing something you know you shouldn't. When you look up at me and you sheepishly say "hello mum". Those two words are more precious to me than you know at the moment while you're learning how to talk. You probably won't ever remember so I'll tell you that it was only 3 nights ago that I tucked you into bed and you took your dummy out of your mouth (a momentous task) and put your hands on my cheeks and said "I love you mummy". It was really precious because a) you rarely take your dummy out of your mouth once you have it, and b) for so long you have only whispered the words after I have asked/begged/told you to say it. In that moment I felt more like your mummy than I ever have before.

Yesterday I was reminded of how little time we have had with you and how lucky we would be to have the rest of our lives. It was at the supermarket. You were asleep in the pram (I have no idea how you slept through all that noise!) and Logan was charming a lovely lady in the line for the checkout. She asked your ages and I told her about your birthdays tomorrow. Later she wished you both a happy 1st and 2nd birthday and told us that her babies were in their 50's now. And she was shaking her head, grateful I'm sure for the years and the memories. And as your dad and I walked back to the car, we were reminded again of how lucky we are to have you and how lucky we would feel to have the next 48 years and more with you.

You are so cherished my baby girl xx Love Mumma

 

No comments:

Post a Comment